A RECENTLY renovated bowls club on the Sunshine Coast will likely be closed for several weeks to repair damage caused by a fire that broke out today.

Dozens of people were evacuated after a fire broke out at the Mooloolaba Bowls Club this afternoon.

A Queensland Fire and Emergency Services spokeswoman said seven crews were called to the structure fire on Brisbane Rd and Kapala St about 1.30pm after reports of “large volumes of smoke issuing from the building”.

She said a fire had broken out in an electrical room and spread to the roof cavity.

All occupants were evacuated from the bowls club and the fire was under control by about 2.15pm.

Club manager Paula Heardman said the club would most likely be closed as they repair the damage.

“We’ve just done renovations and the club’s really just kicked some goals in the last few months … I suppose we just pick up and start again,” she said.

“We’re going to be out of action for a couple of weeks I would imagine by the look of this.”

She said while the cause of the fire was yet to be determine, it appeared to have started from an electrical fault.

“We’ll get the sparkies in and get them to have a look and the fireys are going to assess everything. Until the police have a look too, we’re not going to really know.”

Energex officers isolated the power and a fire investigation officer was to attend the scene this afternoon.

Brisbane Rd remained closed in both directions between Tarcoola Ave and River Esp for several hours.

Paramedics were also on scene but did not reported any injuries.

Article By Ashley Carter – Sunshine Coast Daily – Source Link – April 24, 2019 1:56pm